By David Grimes Monday, November 28 2011 01:00
Welcome to our 14th installment of Friday Night Stars. This will be a regular feature that will appear every week here at ValleySportsNow. We will take a look at the heroes and other interesting tidbits from the previous Friday night high school football games from around the area.
· Our Offensive Award this week goes to Christiansburg, who racked up 444 total yards in its 46-12 win over Magna Vista.
· Our Defensive Award goes to Castlewood, who held George Wythe to 207 yards of total offense in its 23-13 win.
· Cave Spring’s Sam Wright ran for career-high 303 yards on 35 carries and five TDs. He bested last week’s career-high 297 yards on 31 carries and four touchdowns.
· Christiansburg’s Zach Snell rushed for 145 yards on 14 carries and two TDs.
· Kudos to Christiansburg quarterback Brenden Motley for his class act Friday night. After tackling a Magna Vista player, Motley lent a hand and helped him up.
· The River Ridge District has two teams playing in the Group AA state semifinals this Saturday, Cave Spring and Christiansburg.
· Cave Spring handed Richlands its first home playoff loss since 1994. The last team to beat the Blue Tornado was Salem.
· Christiansburg’s Brenden Motley ran for 87 yards on 10 carries and four TDs. He also completed 2-of-5 passes for 36 yards.
· Galax’s Jordan Vaughan rushed for 133 yards on nine carries and a trio of TDs.
· Northside’s Adam Hardister completed 6-of-23 passes for 147 yards and one TD.
· Galax’s Donte Peoples ran for 117 yards on eight attempts.
Photo: Cave Spring’s Sam Wright ran for career-high 303 yards on 35 carries and five TDs, as the Knights defeated Richlands Friday night. He bested last week’s career-high 297 yards on 31 carries and four touchdowns. (Photo courtesy Sam Wright/Facebook)
|< Prev||Next >|